Safest Cities in Alabama: Safe Places to Live in AL
6. Trussville, AL
6. Trussville, AL is another suburb of Birmingham with 19000 residents. Located in both Jefferson and St. Clair counties, it is counted as one of the most livable cities in the United States. The community feel and neighborly atmosphere of the city make it very appealing. With a lower than average cost of living, it is a very affordable place to live and a great choice for families looking for a safer hometown.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 2.1
Property Crimes per 1,000: 18.11
7. Alabaster, AL
Alabaster, AL is a suburb of about 30,000 just south of Birmingham. A highly coveted location, real estate values there are higher than in most parts of Alabama. Located in Shelby County, Alabaster is a diverse county with much to offer and a very low crime rate. It is also ideal for families.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 1.58
Property Crimes per 1,000: 22.09
8. Hamilton, AL
8. Hamilton, AL is the smallest city on our list with a mere 6000 residents, and is located on the western side of the state in Marion County. The seat of the county, Hamilton borders the Buttahatchee River. Despite the low population, the city has its own hospital, 3 radio stations, 2 TV stations and a solid high school athletics department. Extensive city services help keep crime low, making Hamilton an inviting home to those looking for a new small town residence.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 1.16
Property Crimes per 1,000: 23.22
9. Daphne, AL
9. Daphne, AL is on the south coast of Alabama on the shore of Mobile Bay. Despite being located just outside of Mobile, this city of 22,000 offers more safety than any other city in the area. In fact, it is the only city in southern Alabama to make our list. Located in Baldwin County, it is considered a suburb of Mobile and many of its residents travel the greater area for work. With a growing population and a low crime rate, Daphne appeals greatly to homebuyers. With emergency alerts and a focus on safety, the City of Daphne protects its citizens and their property.
Violent Crimes per 1,000:1.8
Property Crimes per 1,000: 23.16
10. Calera, AL
10. Calera, AL with more than 11,000 inhabitants is the fastest growing municipality in the state of Alabama. Located in Chilton and Shelby counties, in the state’s interior, it boasts new, upscale homes at a higher than average price for the state. With an ICE notification program, fire and rescue, senior’s resources and its own police force, Calera is in the business of safety. Low crime rates, an affluent small town feel and proximity to the big city all combine to make Calera an appealing city for relocation.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 1.93
Property Crimes per 1,000:25.92
11. Madison, AL
Madison, AL, with 43,000 inhabitants, is located near Huntsville in northern Alabama. This medium-sized city offers a combination of older and newer homes that appeal to almost anyone. Despite being more costly than most of Alabama, the city has much to offer. History, fantastic outdoor living and extensive community resources all make it a great place to live. The city itself has an effective communication system in place delivering messages by email or text for anything that concern the public. Its low crime rates for a city of its size round out all that appeals about Madison.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 2.05
Property Crimes per 1,000: 24.35
12. Hoover, AL
Hoover, AL is the largest city on this list with 82,000 residents. Located in central Alabama near Birmingham, it is the largest suburb of that city. Fantastic shopping, exciting sports and a solid economy make it a desirable place to live. Hoover’s cutting edge public safety initiatives are leading the nation, with investment in saving the environment while keeping residents safe. It is especially appealing to those looking for a place to live that has a low crime rate.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 1.04
Property Crimes per 1,000: 26.48
13. Rainbow City, AL
Rainbow City, AL, a town of 9000, is located in northeast Alabama and offers an array of activities and events to its residents. While homes are more costly than in many parts of Alabama, the security that is enjoyed by those in this small city is a major selling point. To help keep crime low, the public is encouraged to report anything and everything that seems amiss.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 2.9
Property Crimes per 1,000: 25.1
14. Hartselle, AL
Hartselle, AL is a town of 14,000 located in Morgan County in northern Alabama. Hartselle is a part of the Huntsville- Decatur area and is just 10 miles from Decatur. The low crime rate found there is just one of the many advantages the city has to offer. Great schools, impressive health care, organized emergency public information and exciting shopping choices make it a good choice for those looking to relocate.
Violent Crimes per 1,000:1.46
Property Crimes per 1,000: 27.82
15. Boaz, AL
15. Boaz, AL is the final city in our list of the safest ones in Alabama. With 9000 residents, its big claim to fame is outlet shopping. Located in Marshall and Etowah counties in north central Alabama, the city has a much lower crime rate than most parts of Alabama. This is in part thanks to efforts by the local police and fire departments, which have a variety of impressive programs in place.
Violent Crimes per 1,000: 1.16
Property Crimes per 1,000: 57.3
While the vast majority of safe cities in Alabama are located in the north, those looking for a new town to call home do have great choices available throughout the state. Knowing that you are in a safer city is important when you are searching for a home or a place to run your business. Our list of the 15 top cities for safety in Alabama is a great starting point.
Disclaimer: To improve the accuracy and usefulness of our list, we chose to exclude small communities with populations below 5,000 in our rankings.
Our rankings are determined by national crime statistics published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Our rankings are only as accurate as the local population and crime statistics officially released by the FBI.
Pages: 1 2