13 Obscure Home Security Tips
We have all heard the typical home security tips about flood lights, peep holes and investing in good locks. However there are also some obscure home security tips that you may not have heard about and they are the ones that may really make a difference when it comes to keeping your home as safe as possible.
– Trim shrubbery around your home so that you don’t provide hiding places for criminals.
– Have a neighbor park in your driveway on occasion when you are out of town to give the illusion that you are at home.
– Ensure that all outside lighting illuminates up to 100 feet in distance. You don’t only want to be made aware of intruders when they are within a couple of feet of your house.
– When you purchase a home safe, install it with anchors to almost any room in your home, except the master bedroom. This is one of the first places burglars expect to find it.
– Locked mail boxes are the security choice of those who are concerned about identity theft.
– Your home phone ringer volume should always be at its lowest setting, so it doesn’t inadvertently let a burglar know that no one is at home.
– Vary your schedule of coming and going, so a criminal casing your home doesn’t get a good read on when you are home and when you aren’t.
– Avoid posting your vacation plans on social media.
– Ensure that door hinges are never on the outside of your house. If they are, the door should be re-hung for safety.
– Have someone mow your lawn and pick up newspaper and flyer deliveries at your home if you are away.
– Have curtains on all first level windows and keep them closed, so burglars can’t see what is inside your home.
– Find creative places to hide valuables in your home.
– Use the high tech features of your home security system to give the illusion of being at home. Remote control of your home systems like lighting allows you to turn on and off lights at will giving the impression that you are home. Home automation features also allow you to set up a schedule turning on and off lights, music, etc. so your home appears occupied.
By taking the time to familiarize yourself with home security tips, including the obscure tips, you will better know how to prevent yourself from being the victim of home invasion. Invest in a monitored home security system and make wise security choices and you will keep yourself, your loved ones and your home safe and secure.